Student Technology Services has opportunities for students to gain valuable IT experience while earning an income and working with their peers. Positions are available with Lab Consulting, Knowledge Commons Service Desk, Wagner Service Desk, and Tech Tutors.
Job Description - Lab Consulting
Lab Consultants blend customer service skills with technical knowledge to help Penn State students, faculty, and staff with technology questions in the campus computer labs and technology classrooms. Lab Consulting provides technical support in 85 locations at University Park. They also help maintain the proper operation of hardware and printers. Lab Consulting also supports LabChat, the online chat support service available in computer labs across UP and the commonwealth campuses.
- Being attentive to customers and actively assisting them if they have questions.
- Maintaining a thorough understanding of the software and machines in the labs and classrooms.
- Using available resources to solve problems with software or systems that may be unfamiliar.
- Notifying taff of broken or malfunctioning computers.
- Maintaining the cleanliness and efficient operation of the labs and classrooms.
Job Description - IT Service Desk: Knowledge Commons
The KC Service Desk is technology support center for students, faculty, staff, and retirees. Consultants have an opportunity to develop hardware repair and troubleshooting skills by assisting the Penn State community with their personal computers and mobile devices.
- Being attentive to customers and actively assisting them with their computer questions.
- Connecting laptops, tablets, and mobile devices to PSU Wireless.
- Virus/Spyware detection and removal.
- Providing Penn State email support.
- Hardware diagnostics & repair.
- Operating systems reformat and upgrades.
- Data transfer and backup.
Job Description - IT Service Desk: Wagner
The IT Service Desk is the service-and-support nexus for IT at Penn State. The Service Desk provides 24 x 7 phone and email support, accounts support, and administrative systems support, a combination that you just can’t beat!.
- Answering phone, chat, and walk in users who need IT assistance
- Create new incidents and categorize them properly
- Update existing incidents, and provide resolutions when possible
- Updating the wiki articles to maintain accuracy
- Providing feedback on previously created knowledge articles in the KB or our IT Service Management Tool
Job Description - Tech Tutor
The Penn State Tech Tutors offer one-on-one help to their peers on the technologies used for course assignments and projects. Students can bring an assignment with them to a Tech Tutor (no appointment necessary, walk-ins are always welcome), and the Tech Tutor will work through the technical aspect of that assignment at a pace that is comfortable for the student, answering questions as they go. Tech Tutors also provide support to the Media Commons and help faculty members at University Park use technology in and for their classes. The Tech Tutors are currently looking for motivated, creative, friendly, and resourceful students. They offer on-campus work in an environment designed to help you grow personally and professionally.
All four positions are wage payroll, requiring a minimum of eight hours per week. The positions all have opportunities for merit-based raises, shifts with increased pay, and advancement into student supervisor positions. Please indicate on your application if you have a preference to what area you would like to apply. These positions are only available to undergraduate students.
The hiring process can take several weeks as several hundred applications are received each semester. You will be notified via email or telephone concerning an interview or if all positions have been filled.